Well....short answer...nope! Longer answer....we truly believe that God has put this on our heart! We can not deny it. Both Corey and I often get this feeling that we are one kid short. We have to double count sometimes because we feel like we are missing someone.
After our third child was born, Corey and I, along with the three girls, went to an adoption fair. We took home all the brochures we could grab. We looked at the waiting children profiles and they tugged at our heartstrings. After research and discussions, we decided that adoption was not for us at the time. In fact, we were certain we were done having any more kids. I really wanted to get a career and move our life in a different direction.
We ended up getting pregnant months after the fair and, to be quite frank, I was mad! I did not want to be pregnant again! I cried, I cursed. I kissed my chance at my goal for the type of career I wanted good-bye. Two to Three months into that pregnancy, I started accepting my new future and after we hit the three month mark, I was OK with having another baby.
At the 15 week appointment, we discovered the baby died. I cannot describe the guilt I felt about not wanting that pregnancy at the very beginning. In fact, I will go to my grave with that pain. Everything was so rushed and there wasn't any options to allow us to grieve and accept the loss.
From that pregnancy, I vowed to accept any and all blessings that God gives us. Two more princesses blessed our lives after that! After number five, we said we wanted to round things out with another one. Number six decided to attach itself to the back of my uterine artery causing a complicated and very life-threatening ectopic pregnancy. I spent almost a week in the hospital and had to have a couple of blood transfusions. At one point, prior to surgery, I told my husband that I may be seeing my dad right away (he had died a few months prior to this). To this day, I feel so bad about leaving Corey to wait for me with that thought lingering over his head!
After the very, very long recovery from that ordeal, we made the decision to forgo anymore natural births. Adoption is the very right decision for us and we are very excited to see what little girl God has waiting for us.
You are such a brave woman to share your personal stories with us, thank you! I know in my heart that the Lord has the perfect child waitng for your family.
ReplyDeleteThank you Kathy. I have read SOOOOO many blogs and forums about adoption. The ones that tell it like it is are the most helpful to me. The good along with the bad. I want to see that the families that have adopted before us aren't perfect either....we sure as heck aren't! :)
Delete