Thursday, February 9, 2012

The journey begins


We are adopting!  Well, at least we hope to.  The application is in the mail today along with the first of many payments.  Yikes!  I had such an overwhelming peace when I wrote the check, filled out the envelope, put the stamp on and sent it to the agency.  Not too long afterwards I panicked!  What have I done???  Are we really going to do this?  Am I ready to have another child? 

It is the same feeling when you decide to add any planned child to a family; the mutual decision to forgo any birth control method and allow nature to take over.  We are in the preconception process. The time where we know what we are doing yet do not realize the full consequences of what we are doing to ourselves.  The time where we are taking pregnancy test after pregnancy test to see if there is the slightest chance something worked.  Only right now, it is a paper pregnancy and the first pregnancy test is whether the agency will accept us.

After the pregnancy test comes the invasive gynecologist appointment. You know the one…feet in stirrups, poked and prodded like a piece of meat, personal questions that make you blush. The one where you leave the appointment thinking you should have at least gotten dinner out of the deal!  The paper pregnancy gynecologist is the Social Worker in charge of completing our Home Study.  This person will interview us as singles, as a couple, collect references and medicals, look at our finances, inspect our home and evaluate us as parents.  I think I would rather stick my feet in the stirrups for the medical gynecologist than the Home Study process. 

I have been back and forth about writing a blog about our journey in adoption.   On the one hand I wonder who will read this and if it is worth my time and effort.   I’m not the most interesting person and I don’t always have the right words to say.  I’m the kind of a person that says what I think…you know the type…stick foot into mouth and wish I didn’t shove it down my throat!  I’m also they type that leaves a conversation and then hours later come up with what I “should” have said in the conversation! 

On the other hand, the blogging world for adoption is immeasurable; I wouldn’t be where I am without other bloggers who have and who are going through adoption.  As a Canadian, I found that there are minimal Canadian blogs about adoption in comparison to our American neighbours.  Don’t get me wrong, I have come across MANY American blogs that I follow, however when it came time to officially declare us going through the process, the paperwork, rules, etc. are different here. 

Creating a blog will also help us communicate to our family and friends what is going on in the process, why we are doing what we are doing, when we need prayer (umm…we ALWAYS need prayer in case you are wondering) and also awareness on issues near and dear to our hearts.

So, while I try to figure out this whole blogging thing, we are asking for prayers.  Even if you don’t understand (or agree for that matter) why we are doing this, we ask for prayers of discernment, patience, knowledge, wisdom and strength.

11 comments:

  1. I think what your Family is doing is a wonderful thing! Your Family & everything you're going through is in our prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thanks for checking out my blog too :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful journey your family is about to take! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting our blog and the kind words.

      Delete
  3. Wow what a GREAT journey to be takinng. I will most definetly be following your blog. The Lord has made this your calling and with the love and prayers from your family all will come out shining. Good luck, and I can't wait to read more about the process of adopting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christine. I had to admit I was shocked when I first heard the news, but if anyone is capable and prepared for taking this amazing step of faith, it is honestly you and your family! What an inspiration you are to me. God Bless you and provide for you through all of this. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW congrats on your decison to do this it is great, so are you going to adopt a girl or boy? and from where? I am glad that you are doing this and u deserve it you are a great mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for joining the blog hop! I can't wait to follow your journey to adoption!!! It's a lot of fun finding new families to follow!!

    Jennifer
    Emilie & Abigail's mama-to-be
    http://jenniferloveslobsters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a blog hopper for sure :) There is so much valuable info through other people's personal experiences

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on taking your first steps! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete